About RCEM

RCES  Physical Address:
Richmond County Elementary School
361 Walnut St.
Warsaw, VA 22572

Phone:804-333-3510
Fax:804-333-5484

 

Inspiring and empowering all students with a high-quality 21st century education in a nurturing environment.

 

History of Our School

 

The doors of Richmond County Elementary School were first opened to students in August 1982.  With the completion of this facility, another milestone in the history of Richmond County Schools was reached. 

The history leading to this milestone began in 1912 when Farnham Elementary began operation for white citizens.  This elementary school served the lower portion of Richmond County until 1926.  In that year Farnham Elementary was consolidated with Sharps school.  In 1919, a stone building was erected in Warsaw and used as a combination elementary and high school serving the upper portion of Richmond County.  After 1926 Farnham served as the high school for the lower portion of the county until 1962 when it was consolidated with Warsaw High School resulting in Farnham being used again as an elementary school.  At the Warsaw school, additions were added in 1931, 1951, and 1968. 

In 1953, Julia G. Page School was built.  Early formal education for the black children in Richmond County consisted of ten elementary schools and until 1939, The Northern Neck Academy.  In 1939, Richmond County High School was established offering a secondary educational program.  In 1953, Julia G. Page Elementary school was opened consolidating the following schools:  Mulberry, Downings, Farnham, Sharps, and Haynesville.

In 1965, the following elementary schools were consolidated into an elementary department at Richmond County High School:

  • Cobham Park
  • Massfield
  • Piney Grove
  • Bethethel
  • Havelock

With the consolidation of all schools in Richmond County in 1970, Warsaw Primary School became the only public school for children enrolled in the first three grades.  Farnham and Julia G. Page Schools were combined and housed all fourth and fifth grade students.  In the fall of 1973, kindergarten was included at Warsaw Primary School.

For twenty-two years, these facilities have served elementary students of Richmond County.  The 1982-83 school session brought approximately 615 students in grades Kindergarten through fifth into one modern and beautiful facility - Richmond County Elementary School.

This facility consists of 37 classrooms, library, gymnasium, cafeteria and administrative offices.  The instructional staff consists of principal, associate principal, librarian, and 37 teachers.  The instructional program consists of regular classroom instruction; remedial instruction; music; art; physical education activities; special education services; enrichment activities for all children; and programs for the gifted.  In 1984, four additional rooms were built onto the facility.  Four new teaching positions were added in an effort to maintain reasonable class sizes (avg 22 pupils per class).

Contact Us
Richmond County Elementary / Middle School 361 Walnut Street
Warsaw, VA 22572
View Map & Directions
Phone: 804-333-3510